ACLU, NLG Statement on Police Shut-down of Occupy Boston Camp at Dewey Square

December 11, 2011 12:00 am

Media Contact
125 Broad Street
18th Floor
New York, NY 10004
United States

CONTACT: (212) 549-2666;

BOSTON — In response to this morning’s raid at Occupy Boston, the American Civil Liberties Union of Massachusetts and the National Lawyers Guild-Massachusetts issued the following statement:

“Since the Occupy movement began in September, its participants have used their Constitutional rights to speech, assembly, and petition to send a powerful message: that no one, no matter how wealthy or powerful, is above the law, and that inequality under the law must be addressed.

Despite today’s police action, no one can evict an idea.

While its encampment at Dewey Square may be gone for now, Occupy Boston protestors successfully and peaceably deployed their First Amendment rights to spread their message. In just a few weeks, nearly everyone in the country has become familiar with the Occupy movement’s concern that 1% of citizens possess not only an oversized share of the nation’s wealth, but an ability to act with impunity and to ignore the needs of the other 99%. Even Judge McIntyre cited the Occupy movement’s ‘contribution to the national conversation’ in her order lifting protections previously in place to protect the Occupy Boston encampment.

The ACLU of Massachusetts and the National Lawyers Guild, through attorney Howard Cooper of Todd & Weld, are proud to have defended the rights of peaceful Occupy Boston protestors, which they have used with such remarkable creativity, skill, and effectiveness.”

For more information about our work on behalf of Occupy Boston protestors, see:

Every month, you'll receive regular roundups of the most important civil rights and civil liberties developments. Remember: a well-informed citizenry is the best defense against tyranny.

The Latest in Free Speech

ACLU's Vision

The American Civil Liberties Union is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed to every person in this country by the Constitution and laws of the United States of America.

Learn More About Free Speech

Free Speech issue image

Protecting free speech means protecting a free press, the democratic process, diversity of thought, and so much more. The ACLU has worked since 1920 to ensure that freedom of speech is protected for everyone.