The ACLU, together with our state-based affiliates, scholars, activists, mental health experts, and faith-based organizations around the country, is engaged in a campaign to challenge the use of long-term solitary confinement – in the courts, in the legislatures, in reforms of correctional practice, and in the battle for public opinion. The goal of the Stop Solitary campaign is to limit and abolish the use of long-term solitary confinement in U.S. prisons, jails and juvenile detention centers.
- Stop Solitary – Two Pager
- Stop Solitary Briefing Paper
- Stop Solitary – Recent State Reforms to Limit the Use of Solitary Confinement
- Getting Started – Collecting Corrections & Other Data in Your State
- Campaign Dos and Don’ts
- Model Social Networking Language
- Model Stop Solitary Legislation
- Model Fiscal Analysis Memo
- Checklist for a Visit to a Supermax Facility
- No Child Left Alone (Advocacy Toolkit)
- Alone & Afraid (Advocacy Toolkit)
Every month, you'll receive regular roundups of the most important civil rights and civil liberties developments. Remember: a well-informed citizenry is the best defense against tyranny.